Mum of 1 Lauren Poundall from Newcastle saved her young son's life after using skills and techniques learned on a first aid training course.
According to the Chronicle Live article, Lauren, 23, was at home when she noticed little 15 month old Theo started to become blue and short of breath whilst playing in the living room.
She said: "I said to my grandma, 'What's he had?' and she said he'd been playing with my coat on the floor.
"When I checked it, there was a button missing - he'd obviously pulled a button off my coat and swallowed it.
"You could see he was trying to breathe but he couldn't and he'd started to go blue. So I lay him over my knee and started doing back slaps.
"I was surprised at how calm I was - but I think that was because I'd done the course and knew what to do so I was able to stop myself getting emotional.
"The button was really lodged but I managed to get it out and Theo gave a cry of relief and started breathing again."
Lauren added: "I dread to think what might have happened if I hadn't done the course. It definitely gave me the confidence to deal with it in the moment though when I got into work, it hit me what could have happened and it took me quite a while before I felt OK again."
Children are at high risk of choking on small objects such as buttons, marbles, and grapes. This is mainly due to the fact that they examine things around them by putting them into their mouths. Luckily, Lauren had the knowledge and skills in order to be able to save her Son's life. This highlights the power of good quality first aid training, why it is so important and the difference it can make in everyday life.
Remember, if you stay ready then you won't have to get ready.
For more information on Paediatric First Aid and CPR training near you then please contact a member of our team on 01603 486448 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org